To me - and to many of you I would assume- pancakes are the ultimate breakfast indulgence. They take a little preparation and finesse (in other words, I burn a lot of pancakes) and therefore symbolize having the luxury of time (to make another batch because...more pancakes). When I think pancakes, I think weekend, I think sharing with loved ones, I think relaxation, I think leaving the dishes for another time :).
I've had a lot of misses trying different vegan pancake recipes (think flat, rubbery, heavy) but after adapting a few ideas and a lot of testing I finally found the ideal combination of ingredients and proportions to make THE BEST tasting pancake your mouth will ever know.
This recipe is free of egg, gluten, sugar or dairy and they are honestly better than the real thing due to their light, fluffy texture and natural sweetness (hello, banana!). Plus they take no more time to whip up than their conventional counterpart...and they take a pretty picture.
Give them a try and let me know how it goes.
Serves: 4 • Prep Time: 10 min • Cook Time: 10 min
2 cups quick cooking gluten-free oats
2 ripe bananas
1.5 cup almond milk + 1.5 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. ground flax seed
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. apple sauce
1/2 tsp. of salt
Optional: A dash of cinnamon, vanilla and maca powder
1. Mix 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar in 1.5 cups of almond milk or other non-dairy milk, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add 2 cups of quick cooking gluten-free oats to a high-speed blender and pulse until the oats break down to create a flour-like consistency (you could also purchase oat flour and skip this step).
3. Add all additional ingredients to the blender and pulse to combine. Mixture should be smoothy and slightly thick but not "gloppy" (technical term), if it is, add a little bit of water or almond milk.
4. Add 1/2 cup batter at a time to a non-stick skillet. Spread out the mixture slightly and cook on high until the surface starts to bubble, flip to the other side and cook until golden brown.
5. Top with whatever you love - I used a teeny bit of vegan butter plus some thinned-out raspberry jam, sliced banana, buckwheat groats and mulberries. Other good choices - chocolate date sauce, berries, coconut flakes, and more chocolate.
LOVE & LIGHT, LIVE CLEAN KITCHEN