So, I tend to not be the best baker. I'm reasonably terrible at following other peoples' recipes (or listening to anyone about anything...ever) so when I decided to give vegan cupcakes a try for a party I wasn't expecting much. I looked at a few posts online but mostly improvised as I went along, and by some grace of the universe it is hands-down the best cupcake I have ever had- vegan or not! Gluten-free, oil-free, vegan and low glycemic BUT trust me, there's no loss of flavor, texture or richness. You could fool even the most educated conventional lover with these moist little bad boys. Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Almost too good to frost...almost.
Serves: 12 • Prep Time: 10 min • Cook Time: 20-22 min
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used flax milk)
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract/paste
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tsp instant coffee
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup high quality coco/cacao powder
- 1 cup gluten free flour (I used this one)
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of pink salt
1. Preheat the over to 350° F and line your cupcake tin
2. Add apple cider vinegar to the almond milk, stir and set aside for a 5 minutes to let curdle slightly
2. In a large bowl mash 1 banana until it reaches a near liquid state, then add in the sugar, flax and vanilla and whisk til well combined and bubbles form (about 1 minute)
3. Add the milk, flour, coco powder, coffee, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the banana and sugar mix
4. Stir to combine, fold in chocolate chips, and fill your muffin tins 3/4 of the way to the top.
5. Bake in the over for 20-22 minutes
6. Allow to cool completely before frosting
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled
- 2 tsp maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
- 1 1/2 cup crushed cookies (I used these)
1. To make the frosting add maple syrup along with the solid part of your can of coconut milk to a cold bowl (set aside the water-y of the coconut milk part in a smoothie or something), whisk until the mixture is light and airy.
2. Add the cookies to a plastic bag and crush them up as finely as you'd like and add to the coconut cream. You can reserve a bit to sprinkle on top as garnish.
3. Let chill in the fridge till the cupcakes are completely cool, then frost away!