Oh the alchemy of chia! I love these little guys, they are so versatile and (after some getting used to) I adore the texture they bring to any dish. Like most vegan cooks I always have them on hand as they work just as well as flax as an egg replacer and are packed with fiber, protein and healthy fat. I love how they help this recipe set up and turn into something truly great - it really is a little bit of kitchen magic!
For this simple chia jam I used strawberries and blackberries (pictured above) but it would be just as amazing with any other fresh berry you could find - thinking a blackberry/cherry combo. Next time I would try experimenting with different pairings. You could also try adding flavorings and textures like pomegranate seeds, vanilla or grated ginger.
Like a lot of things I make, this jam is simple, fool-proof and just barely a recipe at all. I don't really have to worn you because I guarantee it will be gone in a flash but this type of non-preservative jam (p.s have you gotten the memo on what gelatin is?) does go bad so use it within 4 days so use it up and let me know how you like it!
- 3/4 cup of any fresh berry
- 3 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp lemon juice or zest
- Grade B Maple Syrup to taste (I used about 1 tbsp, you can omit or use another liquid sweetener if you prefer)
1. Wash the berries and then blend them with lemon juice and sweetener until your desired consistently is reached
*Tip: if you like a chunkier jam you can leave some berries out of the blender and then pulse at the end of blending OR simply forgo the blender all together and mash the berries with a fork
2. Pour into an 8 oz. mason jar (or any container) with the chia seeds - stir to combine.
Note: Make sure the chia seeds are evenly distributed throughout the jar and don't just stay on the bottom - but don't worry if this happens, just use a spoon it stir around the mixture once it sets up.
3. Let the mixture sit in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours
4. Serve on toast, over oatmeal, mix into your baking or eat it straight up
LIGHT & LOVE, LIVE CLEAN KITCHEN