Okay, THIS is a good one. But I can't take all the credit - one of my best friends, Mimi, came up with the idea after I was talking her ear off about the concept of a mock-tuna salad. I probably sounded like a total weird-o raving about the wonders of chic peas but she kindly said, "I bet you could do the same thing with a curry 'chicken' salad". How did I not think of that?! Needless to say I couldn't get the thought out of my mind and had to make this...like...the next day.
So here it is...a fool-proof, easy, salt free, oil free, added sugar free chic pea curry salad to rival any chicken variety. The whole flavor/texture profile is there - spicy, bold, creamy, crunchy, savory, sweet and tangy. The avocado gives you all the creamy richness that a mayo would and the addition of crisp red grapes truly takes this over the top.
This is the perfect summer dish to take to a BBQ, picnic or party. It's so tasty and versile -great over a bed of arugula, in a sandwich or on a wrap...but lets be honest, I ate the majority of this straight out of the mixing bowl in my kitchen...and it's really good that way too.
Serves: 4 • Preparation Time: 20 min
- 1 can chic peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp spicy mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Handful chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup red grapes, halved (you could also sub rasins)
- Sriarcha, pepper, garlic powder to taste
1. Add your rinsed beans, avocado, turmeric, curry power, nutritional yeast, mustard, spices and ACV to a bowl and roughly mash until the mixture is an uneven but well blended texture.
2. Grate the carrot and cabbage, and chop the cilantro, onion and grapes - fold into the mixture.
3. Let the flavors sit and marry for at least a half hour in the fridge. Keeps for a few days.
LIGHT & LOVE, LIVECLEAN KITCHEN