Moist, fluffy, rich and comforting. A one bowl wonder. Simple, clean and some what healthy. The crumble topping - insane. Worthy of many more incomplete sentences. Banana bread is a totally nostalgic thing for me...I think I had it for breakfast every day one summer when working only a block down from my favorite coffee shop which had THE-MOST amazing breakfast sweets and tons of friends who would give me free stuff. Anyway, I somehow never got sick of banana bread but since being vegan, I have struggled to find a totally perfect recipe - they always came out rock hard, undercooked or some weird combination of the two so I set out to make my own...
As someone who doesn't always have the best luck with baking, my favorite thing about this recipe (other than the fact that it's insanely good) is how fool proof it is. I have made it many times with slight variances to the ingredients and it always comes out great, which is not always the case with vegan stuff in general. I've fooled countless carnivores with this one too - everyone is astonished when I tell them there's no eggs, butter, whatever.
Fair warning...it's not my healthiest offering (we're talking some oil and refined sugar) but it's not terrible and is a true crowd pleaser. Make this one, FAST, and let me know how it goes.
- 3 very ripe peeled bananas
- 1/4 cup coconut oil/vegan butter/canola oil
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk + 1.5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup white flour or spelt flour
- 1 cup whole wheat or buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (optional: cardamom, all spice or nutmeg)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Optional Crumble Topping
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar/coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 2 tsp. coconut or canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts, cut up dates, raisins, vegan chocolate chips, etc.
1. Preheat your over to 350* and mash the bananas well in a large bowl.
2. Add the coconut oil, sugars, plant milk + ACV and vanilla to the bowl and mix til combined.
3. Add in all of your dry ingredients right on top of the wet and mix just 'til the batter comes together.
4. Pour your batter into a parchment lined loaf pan.
5. Prepare your topping by combining all the ingredients in a small bowl and then sprinkle over the top of the batter.
6. Bake the bread for 60 minutes (25 minutes for muffins) or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the loaf. Let the bread cool to room temperature before slicing.
LOVE & LIGHT, LIVECLEAN KITCHEN