Finally, a savory recipe on the LCK blog! I am really excited about this raw vegan pesto, like swearing--out-loud-while-eating excited. This raw sauce super creamy, requires simple ingredients and is totally oil free. The combination of cheesy nutritional yeast, creamy avocado, heavenly textured hemp seeds and fresh herbs make this lick-the-spoon-worthy but the true secret ingredient is zucchini....yes. I remember hearing a while back that zucchini, when blended, gets creamy and adds a ton of body to dishes but, man, this is a total magic trick - its a creamy, neutral base perfect for adding a punch of flavor to. I will be sure to try it in more recipes soon.
I've enjoyed this pesto over a raw massaged kale salad (pictured below) but I've also had it warm over pasta and its amazing both ways. It could also work as a dip, a topping for pizza or on crostini.
Give this a shot!
Serves: 4 • Prep time: 7 minutes
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- the juice of one small lemon
- 1 handful of your favorite fresh herb (I used a combination of rosemary, basil and parsley)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3-4 tbsp. cold water
- Season to your liking (I used black pepper, onion powder and Mrs. Dash seasoning)
1. Add all ingredients into a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. That's it!