Do you ever have a craving that you just can't kick? Nothing else can satisfy the urge and you dream of that one food for days or even weeks until you can indulge? For me that craving is always, without a doubt, brownies. I could literally eat an entire sheet of them if you caught me in a moment of desperation.
If you are like, "same", then this simple, quick and HEALTHY brownie is just for you! Because this recipe only makes one serving, you won't ever have to worry about eating far more than your share. Additionally, depending on your cooking method you can have a tasty, hot brownie in your mouth in under 6 minutes - um, yes!!!
This is essentially mug cake recipe but it has the simplest, most healthy ingredient list of any mug cake I've ever had and the taste is tops. It is fudgey, gooey, rich and so chocolatey plus it's grain free, gluten free and added sugar free - YES! I kept the ingredient list simple but you can add whatever mix-ins and extra flavorings you please!
You can make this treat in any microwave/oven-safe mug or ramekin - or in a muffin tin if you aren't quite so trusting of your mugs heat tolerance. I am always the skeptic of oven safe stuff but here is a cool, trustworthy option.
Serves: 1 • Prep Time: 4 minutes • Cook Time: 2-15 min (depending on your cooking method)
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tbsp. cocoa/cacao powder
- 2 tbsp. almond butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- 1 tbsp. chocolate protein powder - this is optional, leave out for a fudgier brownie
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup mix-ins - chocolate chips, nuts, berries, etc.
1. Preheat oven to 400*F (if you're using the oven)
2. In a small oven safe mug/ramekin, mash the banana till smooth.
3. Mix in the rest of your ingredients and stir till fully incorporated.
4. OVEN METHOD: Cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes, depending on how gooey you like your brownie. Allow to cool slightly *this is key* and enjoy!
MICROWAVE METHOD: Simply microwave the brownie mixture in 30 second intervals for up to 2 minutes, until desired done-ness is reached! Allow to cool slightly before eating...seriously, it makes all the difference.
UPDATE: You can double this recipe to make 6 cupcakes - the perfect healthy treat to store and take with you on the go!