These photos may appear to look like just a pile of toppings but trust me, there's some oats under there...and they are THE BEST OATS EVER, which is a lot coming for me because oats are kinda my thing.
The blend of earthy, warm and spicy cardamom (a welcome break from the usual cinnamon) and sweet banana truly take your usual breakfast to a whole different level of delicious - add blueberries and other toppings and you are in breakfast paradise. I first had the berry + cardamom combination in by way of pancakes at G*Zen, a fantastic vegan restaurant near my home town and I have been obsessed ever since.
Using banana as your sweetener in hot cereals is great for two reasons... (1) it allows you to use up those *really* ripe bananas that may be a little less than appetizing and (2) it adds a natural, subtle sweetness that compliments most flavors very well. When you cook the banana in with the oats from the start as I do in the instructions below, they help to also thicken and bulk up your breakfast.
Serves: 1-2 (depending on hunger level) • Prep time: 7 minutes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 super ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup water + 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. allspice and nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. pink salt
1. Mash your banana well using a fork and add it to a medium sized sauce pan with the oats, water, almond milk and spices.
2. Cook on medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken to your desired consistency.
3. Add them to a bowl and top with whatever you like. I added more almond milk, blue berries, pistachios, goji berries and date syrup!
Easy as pie!
LIGHT & LOVE, LIVECLEAN KITCHEN