This stuff is GOOD! Now, of course, it is a less traditional take on classic italian pesto which contains cheese and oil - two things anyone on a whole foods diet tries to avoid but I promise you it is just as good as the OG. This raw, plant-based version is take on an earlier recipe shared in my 'Bowl Builder' e-book but this one is thicker making it the perfect thing to dip into with veggies and crackers, stir into rice or use as a delicious sandwich spread.
The benefits of the ingredients list is impressive, cashews, which serve as our healthy fat here, boost your mood and add a creamy consistency. Basil adds fragrance while peas add sweetness and the two balance each other so well. A squeeze of lemon, nutritional yeast and some garlic are the trifecta in creating a cheese like taste that will keep you wanting more!
Serves: 8-10 • Prep Time: 15 min
- 1.5 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1.5 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1.5 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. To start, soak your cashews overnight in cold water or for at least an hour in warm water.
2. Clean the basil leaves and remove any stems, add them to a food processor with the garlic clove and pulse till finely chopped
3. Then add in the soaked cashews, thawed frozen peas, nutritional yeast and lemon juice. Pulse to combine, scraping down the sides of the processor a few times to ensure an even consistency.
4. Once combined to desired consistency (I like mine smooth but you can leave it a little chunky), add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Chill for a least an hour before serving. Keeps in the fridge for a few days.