Vegan tacos?! For breakfast?! YES. These are just the thing if you are in a breakfast rut or if you want to up your savory breakfast game (I know I do). Invite your friends over and have a fun build-your-own brunch or eat them all yourself, because #tacotuesday.
I have never been one for tofu-anything but I may be a total convert now that I have perfected this tofu scramble. My version is almost eerily similar to it's eggy counterpart which makes this the perfect thing to please a crowd. The addition of nutritional yeast and turmeric make the scramble the most gorgeous golden yellow color and the added nutritional benefits (B12, anti-inflammatory) don't hurt either. I love mixing in with a ton of veggies and spices to create a southwest flavor,.
In my opinion, the real key to making these tacos so delicious is employing the use of refried beans as your base - they help the other ingredients stay put and provide a ton of fiber and protein to help fill you up. I used a canned variety (low-sodium, non-fat, vegan) but you can make your own if you want to - ain't nobody got time for that.
I love the combo of sweet & savory (who doesn't) so I complimented this scramble with a quick, spicy mango salsa. I added sliced avocado on top for aesthetic purposes (along with my favorite hot sauce and some shredded cabbage) but you can mash up some guacamole if that's more your thing!
This 'breakfast' dish would also be great for lunch or dinner! Let me know if you give it a try.
Serves: 2-4 people • Time: 30 minutes
Southwest Tofu Scramble
- 1 medium red or green pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 package firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp. your favorite hot sauce (my favorite pictured above)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric (I ended up adding just a touch more to get the color right)
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- Cilantro for garnish, optional
1. Add your diced pepper and onion to a dry non-stick pan and cook till slightly caramelized.
2. Drain your tofu and pat it dry with a tea towel. Use your fingers to break it apart and crumble it into the pan with the peppers and onions on medium-high heat.
3. Add the hot sauce and seasonings to the tofu and use a spatula to toss it all together as it cooks for 3-4 minutes.
NOTE: Some tofu scramble recipes recommend adding liquid during this process but I found that unnecessary.
4. Turn off the heat and add in the cilantro if desired! Leave in the pan till you're ready to assemble your tacos
Spicy Mango Salsa
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 2 small roma tomatos, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 small green pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 large mango, finely diced
- the juice of 1 whole lime
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cilantro to tate
1. To make the salsa, simply chop all the ingredients and add to a bowl. The longer you allow it to sit, the better as the flavors will develop with time.
Additional Breakfast Taco Ingredients
- Small corn or flour tortillas ( I wrap the lot of them in tin foil and heat in the oven for a few minutes before serving so they are nice and warm)
- Fresh sliced avocado OR guacamole
- Finely shredded cabbage (I buy this in a bag at the store)
- Oil-free refried beans (homemade or store bought, Amy's makes a great one)
- Lime juice
- Hot sauce (because, duh)