I've wanted to post this recipe for a while but I've put it off, because, well, this delicious dish is hard to make *look* pretty ... and when describing it, it doesn't exactly *sound* delicious either BUT LISTEN, it's great, just try it, just trust me, I promise! You'll never even notice the zucchini but you'll love how full and satisfied you'll feel and you just won't believe and tasty this bowl is!
I have a love affair with zucchinis - and let me tell you why...
1. They are super cheap (we grow our own in the summer)
2. They are nutrient dense (B vitamins, magnesium are two of my favorites for balancing hormones)
3. They are absolutely flavor neutral, which leads me to my next point...
4. They are a great bulking agent for a huge variety of dishes like this breakfast bowl - not to mention soups, stir fry and YES, even smoothies (in place of frozen banana).
YES, that's right - zucchini isn't just for savory dishes! I am telling you, you are going to love it as an addition to your breakfast bowls because it bulks them out with healthy fiber and plant nutrients ... bigger bowl of food = happier tummy. Look at it this way - If you can get a vegetable worked into your morning meal without even knowing it's there flavor wise - why wouldn't you give it a try?
I up the anty even more by using quinoa AND oatmeal for a boost of grain-free protein (quinoa is actually a seed) but you can of course use full-on oats here, no judgement. Alternatively, you can use only quinoa (if you're gluten free or paleo-based, for example) - just be sure to add flax or chia or else it will stay far too watery, especially with the addition of the squash.
You can flavor this bowl anyway you like but I include my favorite mix of warm, spicy sweetness below.
HOT TIP: *If* you're still like - WOAH, I kinda want to try this but I think you're bat shit crazy for putting squash in oatmeal...you can use half a small grated zucchini and half a mashed banana to ease you into the idea.
Let me know if you give this a try, you brave, brave soul!
Serves: 1 • Prep Time: 3 minutes • Cook Time: 6 minutes
- 1 small zucchini, grated (option to peel if you wish)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 -1.5 cup plant based milk or water
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. ground flax OR chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, vanilla, cardamom
- 1/4 pink salt
- TOPPINGS: I used sliced banana, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, almond butter
1. Grate a small zucchini directly into a small pot with the oats, quinoa, flax seeds, maple syrup, seasonings and plant milk.
2. Stir to combine and put the mixture on med-high heat. Stir frequently for 5-6 minutes or until the zucchini is tender. If you notice your mixture getting too thick for your liking before the zucchini is totally cooked, add more plant milk or water and continue to stir.
3. Pour the cereal into a bowl and top with your favorite flavorings - I include what I added above but you could just as soon add fresh mango, berries, pear, apple, almonds, raisins, etc. Yum!